The first thing I noticed once the inside frame was
installed and the canopy all clecoed to it was that I could'nt operate the
latches anymore. The trigger lever came just too high and was
resting against the top flange of the inside frame. A second problem
is the conflict between a canopy screw and the lever. I therefore
decided to shorten the lever. I drilled a new 1/4" hole for the
swivel a bit lower and cut the top portion. It may also be noticed
that I made sure the wire guide on top of the latch assembly does not
interfere with the canopy and inside angle.
Installing the standard handle and cables was pretty straight
forward. One thing I did is to cut the 18mm-wide angle that hold the
cable adjusters and cable bushing narrower. This is to avoid
conflicts with the canopy and inside frame.
One morning, after a full night of dreaming about the canopy, I saw the
light and found how to easily and simplistically integrate a locking
device. I went to Rona L'Entrepôt (a major hardware store in
Eastern Canada) and found exactly what I was dreaming about: a latch with
a 2" lever that can be installed at a 45-degree angle. I
modified the lever to fit my installation. That latch looks
pretty good. It has a stainless steel face and a zinc body.