Parts

Construction Details Finish&Fly Events and Projects Building from Plans Raw Materials Q&A Tools Construction Log

Up
Parts
Cables

 

pcwing1.JPG (32775 bytes) Making some parts
I made the aileron bellcranks and some rear fuselage parts at the same time.

I know I should be talking about centerwing, but... for the rudder attachments, I found it easier to bend first and then cut the piece to proper size (just a hint).
Dcp00591.jpg (55425 bytes) A modular control yoke
I am really not sure that I will like the Y yoke.  When I sit in my friend's CH601 and I move the control yoke, I feel that my legs are always in the way.  I may decide to replace that with a straight yoke (single, not dual control), but I want to try it before.
Dcp00592.jpg (52614 bytes) How is it made?
The idea is to enable replacement of the yoke without having to disconnect the cables.  To achieve that, I had two  bushing machined for tight fit in the 1-1/8 tube.   One of them is welded at the base of the Y yoke.  I keep the other one for the time at which I will build the straight yoke.
DCP01831.JPG (93720 bytes) My 5$ grips
I bought foam grips from Reid Tools and some char leg end caps from local hardware store.  The PTT button comes from a local surplus electronic store.  To me, it is as nice as a commercial grip.

 

 

Dcp00722.jpg (41632 bytes) Front torque tube bearing
I installed a piece of UHM-PWE against the front torque tube bearing.  This piece is larger than required so I can drill holes to run cables and tubes through it.
Dcp00700.jpg (54418 bytes) Assembling rudder pedals
I borrowed the design from one of my friends (Angelo Ferraro) who had his pedals made by Claude Guilbault (yes, the one who makes my wheels).  The 4130 tubes are all cut to size and installed on a plywood.
Dcp00837.jpg (95476 bytes) Both pedals fabricated
and ready to be welded.  Notice that on the pilot side, the pedals are higher (the vertical tube is 7" in lenght),  I had to play a bit with the lateral positioning because of constraints in location of the pedal bearings.  The aluminum pedals have been found in a local aircraft junkyard.  Here is another picture:

Dcp00838.jpg (92479 bytes)

Dcp00835.jpg (87659 bytes) To cut the 4130 steel sheets
I used my Dremel with cutting disks...  it proved to be quite expensive as I used many discs for the several parts I had to cut.  On the picture, I was making the rudder attachment gussets (seen with  the pedals above).
Dcp00840.jpg (92914 bytes)
Ahh.... the parts are welded
Here are the pedals, torque tube and yoke.
Dcp00848.jpg (95113 bytes) More stuff welded
These are the pushrods for the nose wheel, nose wheel gear leg and engine mount attachments.  Notice that originally, the bolts on my nose wheel gear leg were too short to accommodate the rod end bushings.  My welder was able to remove the bolts and install longer ones... I was impressed!
Dcp00855.jpg (71238 bytes) ...and then primed
I sandblasted the parts and primed them with a PPG epoxy primer.  Sanblasting is really not a fun job... I did it outside and the safety glasses were not sufficient.  Therefore, I used a scuba diving mask.  A full head cover would have been much better.  

For priming, I purchased a small touchup paint gun.  While good enough at altitude, I cannot say I have great talent as a painter yet...

   
Dcp01144.jpg (52347 bytes) Ah ah... my little gadget!
This is a Navaid Devices S-2 Crank.  Yes, I'm installing a single axis autopilot.  I made a support out of 0.040" aluminum. There is a channel riveted to two stiffeners that are about 16" long.  The S-2 is coupled with a push-rod to a hole up one inch from the normal hole at the end of the torque tube.
Dcp01145b.JPG (35550 bytes) A more detailed shot
This shows the construction of the support.  One one end of the stiffeners (towards the center of the centerwing), I added a stiffener in the axis of the aircraft which overlaps the part 6V12-6.  The other end of the stiffeners just come close to the first rib.  Rivet pitch on the channel is 25mm.  I pitched about 30mm on the "main" stiffeners.   

I realize that I may have to dimple some rivet holes when I'll install the bottom longerons under the fuselage.
Dcp01147.jpg (76875 bytes) Modified channel 6V13-4
The plans calls for an installation at an angle, but I was not able to figure out a feasible angle to clear the torque tube and to let a proper opening for cables to be routed.

I saw this way of doing on Jeff Small's project and I thought it was quite clever.  This installation allows for a bend between 2 and 7 degrees for the left rudder cable.  I tested after joining the rear fuselage and it appears that my theoretical calculations worked!

Dcp01177.jpg (79211 bytes) A bit stronger than a bent strip
The plan calls for a one-inch wide 0.025" bent strip to link the torque tube bearing assembly with the channel (on top).  With that, the bearing assembly can move quite a bit with any movement of a control... I did not like that and my mentor advised me to make something stronger.

I made a triangular fitting bent on the three sides.  This is made out of 0.040" material and now, nothing will move that bearing assembly from there!

 
 

Home ] Up ] Construction Details ] Finish&Fly ] Events and Projects ] Building from Plans ] Raw Materials ] Q&A ] Tools ] Construction Log ]
e-Mail me at mtherr@yahoo.com

Counter reset on August 10, 2000 (4302 visits on main page prior to reset)
Michel Therrien, (c) 1999 - 2003.