Assembling

Construction Details Finish&Fly Events and Projects Building from Plans Raw Materials Q&A Tools Construction Log

Up
Disassembly
Measuring
Reduction Drive
Assembling
Installation
Intake Manifold
Ignition
Engine Mount
Pictures Only

 

 

I didn't have much time for pictures during the assembly process.  It was just too much fun!  Fernand, my mentor came home and coached me in assembling the engine bloc. This way, fewer opportunities for mistakes.

As proposed by my machine shop, I used Permatex Ultra-Grey sealant to mate the bloc halves.  For lubrication, Fernand suggested that I use Moly Extreme Pressure Grease on the main and rod bearings, in the bushings and for the cam shaft.   I put generous amount of engine oil on the cylinder walls, the pistons and the piston pins.

My sources of information for the assembly were:

1. "Keeping your Subaru Alive" by John Muir.  Really an easy to read book for a beginner like me

2. 1983 Service Manual for Subaru 1600/1800 (the real book!).  This one provided directions where "Keeping you Subaru Alive" was not precise or complete enough.

DCP01857.JPG (83350 bytes) DCP01858.JPG (99108 bytes) DCP01892.JPG (58973 bytes) DCP01895.JPG (58955 bytes) DCP01896.JPG (61799 bytes) DCP01903.JPG (64393 bytes) 

I bought the water pump with the black pulley on eBay.  It was supposed to be the correct pump for a 1.8L 1983 Subaru GL... but it was not.  Although the pump body is the same as the one I need, the pulley is about 3mm more distant from the base than it should be.  It was a 1.6L engine pump, not a 1.8L one.  So, I spent a bit more and bought a new one from the local Subaru dealer (the green pulley one).  Take care when you buy on eBay!  Stuff may be nice, but it may also be different from what you expect.

DCP01901.JPG (65441 bytes)

The modified EA-82 intake manifold I got had its water port for the heater circuit blocked.  I asked a local guy to re-open it and install a fitting:

DCP01936.JPG (69669 bytes)

A special socket (part no. 499987006) is required to assemble the cylinder heads on the Subaru EA-81 engine.  Unfortunately, this socket is no longer available from Subaru.  So I made one myself using an articulated 17mm socket and an extension.  The articulated socket is useful since the socket is already very short. 

DCP01893.JPG (47860 bytes) DCP01894.JPG (40311 bytes)


My engine has hydraulic lifters.  Sorry for not having any pictures  of the valve adjusting process here (the picture above is from two of my old lifters--not the ones installed in the engine).  The valve adjustment procedure for a hydraulic lifter engine is quite different from the procedure for a solid lifter engine.  Some people tried to explain me how to make that adjustment and "Keeping your Subaru alive" also has a procedure... the problem is that what the book says did not sound logical (it says that we should unscrew the adjuster from the zero-lash point).  So here it is, I found some really good web sites on the subject and then, I was able to understand instructions I got from Dave Johnson and Paul Messinger (Paul explained the procedure on AirSoob a while ago).  For some information on how lifters work and how to adjust the valves, see:
http://www.cranecams.com/master/adjustvt.htm
http://members.aol.com/kstegath/articles/valves.htm

Apparently, the Subaru manual (I did not find this information myself) mentions to tighten the adjusters two turn past the zero-lash point.  Research at NSI, according with Paul, revealed that tightening 1/2 turn will reduce valve float beyond 5,000rpm.  But the NSI procedure requires that the lifters are full of oil (which is not the case until the engine could run for several minutes).  A book I have mentions 1.5 turn and someone else told me one turn.  So, I elected to adjust them one turn past the zero-lash point.  This way, I have a preload of about 0.025" which is within the range shown on the Cranecams web site.  For the adjusting procedure, I used exactly the procedure that is outlined on the Cranecams web site.  Pretty easy.  I then torqued the adjuster nuts to 10ft-lb.

Sensors

I initially installed the oil pressure sender under the oil pump.  When you get a new pump, there is a plug that can be removed with an Allen key.  I drilled that plug and tapped 1/8NPT threads.  And I missed it.  On my first attempt, I was trying to hold the plug in a vise.  It turned and ruined the threads of the plug.  Next time, I took the plug from my old pump, drilled and tapped it directly in the pump.  I then cut the sides with a Dremel so I could take it out with a wrench.  Once this was done and pretty, I noticed there was interference with a tube on my engine mount (I have a transversal tube).  So, I changed the location of the sender.

DCP01907.JPG (57722 bytes) DCP01964.JPG (60250 bytes)

For the water temperature sender, I transformed the original sender by taking off the sensor portion of it, grinding off the top portion, drilling it and tapping 1/8NPT threads in it.  I could then install my sender directly in it.  I changed the o-ring... I did not have a replacement one, but the thinner scuba valve o-ring fits well (and I have a lot of those).

DCP01909.JPG (78999 bytes)

 

 

 

Home ] Up ] Construction Details ] Finish&Fly ] Events and Projects ] Building from Plans ] Raw Materials ] Q&A ] Tools ] Construction Log ]
e-Mail me at mtherr@yahoo.com

Counter reset on August 10, 2000 (4302 visits on main page prior to reset)
Michel Therrien, (c) 1999 - 2003.