Engine Mount

Construction Details Finish&Fly Events and Projects Building from Plans Raw Materials Q&A Tools Construction Log

Up
Disassembly
Measuring
Reduction Drive
Assembling
Installation
Intake Manifold
Ignition
Engine Mount
Pictures Only

 

The engine mount agony!  This started with the first mount I obtained with my reduction drive.   This is the one shown below.  This one was perfect in principle, but did not allow me to install the radiator inside the cowling.  I needed a mount that puts the engine at least 2" more forward.  So, I asked Dave to make another one for me.

IMG_1262.JPG (148278 bytes) IMG_1261.JPG (158058 bytes)

I received a second mount that was similar to the first one in design and allowed me to install the radiator behind the engine.  However, there were some problems with that mount.... the trust line was not what I wanted (pitch up 3 degrees-if I remember).  While it is within specifications (0 degree +- 5 degrees as per the plans), I did not like the look at all.  So, I showed it to some local "experts".  They said that the design is not appropriate... an aircraft engine mount usually has 1 post supported by three tubes, 1 post supported by two tubes and two by only one tube (see T. Bingelis, Firewall Forward, p. 78).  So, I gave the "go" to modify it so it is like that!  See below...

DCP01959.JPG (60943 bytes) DCP01859.JPG (108218 bytes) DCP02192.JPG (117932 bytes)

On the day I thought Zulu Golf Quebec was ready for first flight (June 13, 2004), I discovered a problem.  I was looking at my gascolator and saw that my right side exhaust pipe touched the firewall fairing!  I put an entry in the Journey and the Airframe logs saying "... This aircraft is not serviceable." NOT FUN!   

The engine mount modification that I had done was wrong! Sh.t!  As you see it above, the upper arms are going down at a steep angle.  What happens is that as force is applied, these arms can flex up and down easily.    We quickly pin-pointed the issue to the engine mount....  The original design was the right one! :(   Imagine... more than 375 hours to rebuild and install that engine... and I may have to remove it...

I called someone who does a lot of stuff for homebuilders including design and repair, assistance and also  does welding for a kit manufacturer.  He looked at this and found a way to fix it without removing the engine and engine mount.  He modified the design (again) so that the upper arms will attach directly to the reduction drive instead of to the cylinder heads.  Several friends have that arrangement and it works fine.  

So, after he machined some attachment blocs, we spent a day at the airport to make the modification.  (see below).  One evening later, on June 24th at 1H37am, C-GZGQ was again "serviceable".

IMG_1269.JPG (129916 bytes) IMG_1268.JPG (138269 bytes) IMG_1270.JPG (140138 bytes) IMG_1271.JPG (126112 bytes) IMG_1272.JPG (154107 bytes) IMG_1274.JPG (167134 bytes) IMG_1275.JPG (164393 bytes) 

The installation is now nice looking (better than it was).  I'm more confident in this type of engine mount and as of June 24, 2004, I can't wait to see this plane flying!

 

 

Home ] Up ] Construction Details ] Finish&Fly ] Events and Projects ] Building from Plans ] Raw Materials ] Q&A ] Tools ] Construction Log ]
e-Mail me at mtherr@yahoo.com

Counter reset on August 10, 2000 (4302 visits on main page prior to reset)
Michel Therrien, (c) 1999 - 2003.